Life and biodiversity
All living things are part of biodiversity. Biologists estimate that there are around 30 million different types of organisms alive on earth today. Of these, scientists have discovered and named over 1.7 million different organisms. The science of classification is known as taxonomy and there are still millions of unnamed species in the world.
Move the magnifying glass below, to have a look at what life lives in and around a tree.
Biodiversity & Health: Clean air and water is essential to human health. To date, plant-based medicines provide more than three billion people with their primary health care.
Biodiversity & Agriculture: Biodiversity provides us with a varied food supply, which is needed for balanced human nutrition. Conservation of genetic biodiversity ensures that domestic plants and animals can adapt to thrive in local conditions.
Biodiversity & Business: Businesses depend on clean water and raw materials as essential components and services for the operation of their day-to-day activities. It is therefore important that there is a sustainable supply of these resources to ensure economic growth. Good environmental management is good business management.
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
- Ireland's Environment Overview
- Environmental Governance
- Air Quality
- Spotlight on biodiversity in Ireland
- Life and biodiversity
- Biodiversity loss
- Protecting biodiversity
- Overview of Ireland's Wildlife
- Domestic animals in Ireland
- What can be done
- Celebrate the Green Wave!
- Public Consultations
- The Built Environment
- Waste Management
- Aarhus Convention
- Climate Change
- Health and Wellbeing
- Featured Articles
- County Focus
- Environmental Awareness Initiatives
- Education, Training & Exhibitions
- Public Consultations & Review Procedure
- Environmental Impact Statements
- Who Does What?
- Energy Resources: Renewable and Non-Renewable
- Environmental Assessment
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
- Local Authority Environmental Enforcement
- Mineral Extraction