Protect Habitats and Encourage Biodiversity
Make your garden an attractive habitat for wildlife.
- Plant a variety of flowers. Insects will be attracted to nectar-rich flowers, and birds will eat the flower seeds when food is scarce in winter. This will also help to disperse these seeds to other areas.
- Plant some shrubs and trees to provide shelter for animals. Some bushes will also bear fruit, which will be a valuable source of food during winter.
- You could also build a bird table and put seeds and scraps on it for birds during the winter months.
- By putting a pond and some aquatic plants in your garden, you would provide water for the wildlife. Ponds are also an ideal habitat for frogs.
For more information on the conservation of habitats and species in Ireland, view the National Parks and Wildlife Service website at http://www.npws.ie/.
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
- Sustainable Living Overview
- How To...Tips
- Grow Your Own Vegetables
- Keep Chickens
- Protect Habitats and Encourage Biodiversity
- Shop Local
- Use Less Water
- Reduce Water Pollution
- Reduce Waste Going to a Landfill
- Insulate Your Home
- Detect Radon
- Feed Wild Birds
- Build a Bird Box
- Make a Bird Table
- Protect our Natural Environment
- Prepare your Garden for the Winter
- Use Less Fossil Fuels
- Get Involved in the Community
- Get Involved with Green Initiatives
- Farming in Ireland Overview
- Posters and Factsheets
- Videos and Exhibitions
- Desktop Backgrounds