Dun Laoghaire Baths

Upload to this page

Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.

  • Baths and Bathing

Bathing was very popular from the eighteenth century onwards. For example, Blackrock is mentioned in a number of books of the time as being an attractive bathing area for many Dublin inhabitants.

Two separate bathing areas in old Dun Laoghaire have been noted in maps dating from the 1790s. Sources mention baths in Kingstown being built by the Royal Hotel in 1828. They were probably removed to make way for the construction of the railway in 1836.

In 1843, John Croswaithe built baths on the corner of Scotsman's Bay. Originally known as the Royal Victorian Baths, they were only used by those who had the means to afford them. This is the site of today's Dun Laoghaire baths.

Crosthwaite lived in Victoria Cottage, which is now long demolished. It stood where the road now runs, in front of the present-day Dun Laoghaire Baths. Croswaithe Park in Dun Laoghaire immortalises his name.

Kingstown Urban District Council bought the baths in the late 1890s and renovated them between 1905 and 1911 at a cost of £12,000. This is when they became known as Kingstown Baths, and later Dun Laoghaire Baths. The current derelict Edwardian entrance dates from this time. Crosthwaite also built baths at Seapoint, which were privately owned.