The 18th Century

Upload to this page

Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.

  • Beautiful Limerick Buildings

St. Munchin

St. Munchin's Church was built in 1744. Although much younger than St. Mary's Cathedral, it is still one of Limerick's oldest churches.

According to Samuel Lewis , it was 'the first Roman Catholic place of worship erected in Limerick since the revolution'. The revolution to which Lewis refers is Cogadh an Dá Rí, or the War of the Two Kings, which raged in Ireland from 1688-1690.

This war was between two men, each claiming kingship of England and Ireland. They were William of Orange and James II. William was a Protestant and James a Catholic. When William eventually won, though not without losing a battle outside Limerick first, Protestantism was confirmed as the official religion of Ireland. This was despite the fact that most of the inhabitants of Ireland were Catholic.

The famous Treaty Stone  is located just outside the main gate of St. Munchin's Church. This is reputed to be the stone on which the Treaty of Limerick was signed on 3 October 1691. This was after Patrick Sarsfield repelled William of Orange's attack on Limerick.

St. Mary's Church

St. Mary's Church was first built between 1746 and 1749. The old church was demolished and the present building completed in 1932. All that remains of the original eighteenth-century church are the holy water font and a plaque at the rear of the new church.

This 1932 church was built in Hiberno-Romanesque style. The dome of the bell tower is built in the Byzantine style. The foundation stone of St. Mary's was laid in May 1930 by Bishop Keane.