Abbey & Airfield

Upload to this page

Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.

  • Aspects of Longford

Abbeyshrule's Abbey & Airfield

The Cistercian Abbey

The Abbeyshrule Cistercian Abbey was founded in 1150 by the O'Farrells, the local Irish chieftains. It was the fifth Cistercian foundation in Ireland and contains 9,150 acres including 626 acres of water. Its situation on the banks of the River Inny allows for easy access to the islands of Lough Ree, Clonmacnoise and Kilbixy.

The abbey flourished for over 250 years, surviving an attempt to burn it down by an English army in 1476. It was closed by King Henry VIII as part of the Tudor suppression of monasteries. The lands were granted to a succession of owners, including, in 1560, Robert Dillon, Earl of Roscommon. In 1595, it was destroyed in the march of Red Hugh O'Donnell's rebellious army.

Abbeyshrule Airport

Abbeyshrule Airport in its present form was opened in 1977, having moved from a nearby grass strip which was created in the 1950's. In 1977, they laid a new tarmac runway, giving Longford its only airport.

Abbeyshrule Airfield
Image courtesy of

The Abbeyshrule Air Show, which is Ireland's longest running air show, is held annually since 1955.