Self Portrait as Bystander
Painting: The Taking of Christ, c. 1602
The Taking of Christ is an example of a Baroque painting. It shows the dramatic moment when Jesus was betrayed by his friend Judas in the Garden of Gethsemane. In the back left corner of the painting there is a man holding a lantern. He is not one of the apostles and he is not one of the guards.
Quesiton: Who might this person is likely to be?
Take a close look at the way he is holding the lantern.
Imagine that you are holding a heavy lantern. How would you lift it?
Imitate this man’s hand and think about what you would hold like that.
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
- Art in Ireland
- Irish Artists
- Art in Europe
- European Artists
- Art Elements and Design Principles
- Self Portraiture
- Design & Craftwork
- Practising Art & Design
- Observational Studies
- Irish Churches & Monastic Buildings
- Environmental and Social Studies
- Home Economics
- Games & 3D Tours
- How to do Research
- Find your Local LibraryFind your Local Library
- Ask a LibrarianAsk a Librarian
- How to do a ProjectHow to do a Project