Building the Workhouse

The Assistant Poor Law Commissioner, Mr. Muggeridge, announced in July 1840 that he was ready to receive proposals for a Workhouse site in or near the town of Carlow. The title to the land should be clear and the demand or price neither "exorbitant or extravagant". The site should measure "from four to six Irish acres".

The Government proposed to advance 10,000 for the erection of Workhouses repayable by 20 annual instalments commencing one year after the opening of the Workhouse.

The Carlow Union borrowed 11,500 for the erection of the Workhouse. A site measuring 7 acres 2 roods and 19 perches on the Kilkenny Road was purchased from Robert Bailey for 1,040.

Although the Union was set up on September 21st 1840 the contract for the building of the workhouse was not signed until 12th October 1841. The contract amounted to a sum of 9,000. The completion date for the Workhouse was 12th June 1842 but there were a number of delays and it did not open for business until 1844.


previousPrevious - Richard Griffith (1784-1878)
Next - Carlow Union Workhouse isometric viewnext