George Wilkinson (1814-1890)

The Poor Law Commissioners originally intended the staff of the Board of Works to design and build the Workhouses, but instead they invited plans and applications from individual architects. Of those who submitted plans, George Wilkinson's work was chosen to be most suitable.

He was appointed the Commissioners' Architect in the 1830's. He had already designed a Workhouse at Thame, Oxfordshire and later designed many other workhouses in Britain and Ireland.

Wilkinson was born in Oxfordshire in 1814. He was the son of a carpenter and builder called W.A. Wilkinson from Witney in Oxfordshire. His younger brother William was also an architect. He went to Ireland in about 1840, as the chosen Chief Architect of the Irish Poor Law Commissioners. He held this position for many years until circa 1855.

Wilkinson was a fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects. He had an address at Brunswick Street, in Dublin. He returned to England in about 1888 and died in Twickenham in October 1890.

previousPrevious - Furniture and fittings
Next - Staffing the Workhousenext