Plan of Carlow Union Workhouse 1873

A plan of Carlow Union Workhouse can be found on sheet 25 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Carlow Town.

The survey was completed in 1873 and zincographed in 1875 under the direction of Col. Wilkinson. The scale of these maps is 10.56 feet to one mile.

The entrance to the Workhouse from the Kilkenny Road is shown at the top of the map. It features a central pathway bounded on either side by green areas with scattered trees and shrubs.

The building itself is coloured pink with gable and wall details highlighted in red. The yard spaces are also clearly outlined.

The River Barrow, shown on the Ordnance map but not on this plan detail, ran parallel to the Kilkenny Road.

previousPrevious - Carlow Union Workhouse elevation view
Next - Work in progress: A tale of "braw berths"next