- Talk to your child about the things you see around you everyday such as pictures, words, shapes and numbers.
- Point out letters and words you see while walking, driving, on the bus etc. Make it into a game by asking your child to find a new word on each outing.
- Encourage your child to give their reactions to stories, what they watch on TV or on the Internet. If you are reading a book together, ask them to guess what will happen next or to tell the story back to you in their own words.
- As your child begins to read on their own, talk with them about what they are reading. When they finish a new story, discuss the main ideas, new words and their favourite parts.
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
- Book Clubs
- Literacy Skills
- Developing Children's Literacy and Numeracy Skills
- Reading for Children
- Reader Development: Young People