Post-Primary School Library Services
There is no official funding, guidelines or policies for libraries in second-level schools.
Junior Certificate School Library Demonstration Project
The Junior Certificate School Programme (JCSP) library initiative was set up in 2001 to provide JCSP students with modern, professionally staffed libraries in their schools. The libraries are designed specifically to meet the needs of JCSP students and the JCSP programme while working within a whole-school approach to literacy.
Elements of the libraries include books and learning materials with appropriate reading ages, the latest IT resources, bright and appealing décor and suitable furniture to facilitate quiet reading time and workshop/project work.
View a list of JCSP Libraries.
For further information on this project visit the JCSP website or contact:
Kathleen Moran (Project Manager),
Curriculum Development Unit,
Phone: +353 1 4535487 | +353 1 4020435
Select list of publications
- Young people and public libraries in Ireland: issues and opportunities. Dublin: Office of the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, 2010.
- The school library in the 21st century: an agenda for change: Policy statement. Dublin: School Library Association, Republic of Ireland, 2004.
- John Coolahan. Unrealised potential: the relationship of schools with the library service; in The university of the people: celebrating Ireland’s public libraries. Dublin: An Chomhairle Leabharlanna, 2004. p. 143-164. ISBN: 1-873512-10-4.
- Library file: making a success of the school library, edited by Valerie Coghlan, Patricia Quigley and Rosemary Walton. Dublin: Library Association of Ireland, 1999. ISBN: 0-94603-736-1.
- School libraries: guidelines for good practice, School Library Development Ad-hoc Committee. Dublin: Library Association of Ireland, 1994.ISBN: 0-94603-724-8.
- Valerie Coghlan. Education’s engine room: the school library in Commitment to quality: proceedings of an Irish Joint Conference… Dublin: Library Association of Ireland, 1994.p.14-22
- The Junior School Certificate School Programme Demonstration Library Project final report. Dublin: JCSP Support Services, CDVEC Curriculum Development Unit, 2005. ISBN: 0-946791-27-9.
- Library development in second level schools: proceedings of a seminar organised by the Library Association of Ireland and the Association of Secondary Teachers, Ireland on 12th October 1993, edited by Fionnuala Hanrahan. Dublin: Library Association of Ireland, 1994. ISBN: 0-946037-25-6.
- Library info Pack for second level schools. Dublin: Library Association of Ireland; Association of Secondary Teachers, Ireland, 1993.
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
- Your Public Library Service
- Fast Facts and Figures
- National Activities
- European Projects
- Jobs, Careers & Training
- Library Links
- Other Libraries
- Linked Heritage Cultural Digitisation Conference 2013
- Services to Schools