- Banim, Mary Here and there in Ireland
- [Bannon, Dermot (ed)] Pilgrimage to Portloman (Mullingar: printed by Topic Newspapers for private circulation, 2000)
- Daly, Leo "Naming of our midland lakes" in Leo Daly (ed) The Midlands, (Dublin: Albertine Kennedy Publishing, 1979) pp60-61.
- Delany, Ruth By Shannon shores : an exploration of the river (Dublin: Gill and Macmillan, 1987)
- English, N.W. First decade of the 'Inland Waterways Association of Ireland' (Athlone, IWAI, 1965).
- English, N.W. Lough Ree Yacht Club 1770-1970, a memoir. (Athlone: LRYC, 1970).
- Grannell, Fergal The Franciscans in Athlone (Athlone: The Friary, 1978)
- Griffith, Richard General valuations… [for various Unions in the counties of Westmeath, Roscommon & Longford] (Dublin: Alex Thom 1854-55)
- Harbison, Peter Guide to the national and historic monuments of Ireland (Dublin: Gill & Macmillan, 1992).
- Harvey, R The Shannon and its lakes. (Dublin: Hodges, Figgis & Co. 1896).
- Hickie, David Nature in Westmeath a wildlife and habitat guide. (Mullingar: Westmeath County Council, 2005.)
- Keaney, Marian "Waters of Westmeath" in Ireland of the Welcomes, Vol 44, No 2, March-April 1995.pp22-27.
- Kelly, Catherine & Gearoid O'Brien The Christy Kiernan art collection: the first ten years. (Mullingar: Wesmeath County Council, 2003)
- Lyons, John Charles The Book of surveys and distribution of the estates in the county of westmeath forfeited in the year 1641. (Mullingar: Printed by the author at The Ledeston Press, 1853)
- Lyons, John Charles The Grand Juries of the county of Westmeath 1727-1853. (Mullingar: Printed by the author at The Ledeston Press, 1853.
- Martin, Michael (ed) Inland Waterways Association of Ireland, Athlone, Silver Jubilee 1954-1979. (Athlone: IWAI, 1979).
- Murtagh, Harman (ed) Irish midland studies: essays in commemoration of N.W. English. (Athlone: Old Athlone Society, 1980)
- Nash, W.J. Loughree and around it (Athlone: the author, 1949)
- O'Donovan, John Letters containing information relative to the antiquities of the county of Westmeath collected during the progress of the Ordnance Survey in 1837. 2 Vols. Reproduced under the direction of the Rev. Michael O'Flanagan. Bray. 1931.
- Office of Public Works, Record of monuments and places - county Westmeath (1996) with accompanying maps.
- Ordnance Survey field name books for the county of Westmeath 1837-1838.
- O'Regan, Edward In Irish waterways. (Dublin: Currach Press, 2005)
- Orpen, Goddard Henry Ireland under the Normans, 4 vols. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1968)
- Otway-Ruthven, A.J A history of medieval Ireland (London: Ernest Benn, 1968)
- Piers, Sir Henry "A Chorographical description of the county of Westmeath, written A.D. 1682" in Charles Vallancey (ed) Collectanea de Rebus Hibernicis, No 1, (Dublin: Thomas Ewing, 1770.
- Rice, H.J. Thanks for the memory (Athlone: Inland Waterways Association of Ireland, 2002) First published 1952.
- Sheehan, Jeremiah (ed.) Beneath the shadow of Uisneach - Ballymore and Boher, Co. Westmeath (Mullingar, 1996)
- Sheehan, Jeremiah South Westmeath - farm and folk (Dublin, Blackwater Press, 1978)
- Sheehan, Jeremiah Westmeath as others saw it. (Moate: the author, 1982).
- Stalley, Roger (ed) Daniel Grose (c1766-1838) The antiquities of Ireland a supplement to Francis Grose. (Dublin: The Irish Architectural Archive, 1991).
- Stokes, G.T. Athlone, the Shannon and Lough Ree (Dublin: Alex Thom / Hodges Figgis, 1897).
- Tormey, John Westmeath the lakeland of Ireland (Mullingar: The Westmeath Examiner, 1937)
- Walsh, Paul The placenames of Westmeath (Dublin: Institute for advanced Studies, 1957)
- Woods, James Annals of Westmeath (Dublin, 1907)
- Journal of the Old Athlone Society
- Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland
- Roscommon Historical and Archaeological Society Journal
- Teathbha: Journal of the County Longford Historical Society
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
Related LibrariesWestmeath County Library
Contact this library »Westmeath County Library
Contact this library »
- Greening Communities
- Flora & Fauna
- Island Life
- Physical Landscape
- Physical Landscape of Ireland
- Castlecomer Plateau
- Geography of Cork city
- Historical Features of County Longford
- Lakelands of Westmeath
- Louth & Louthiana
- Man and the landscape in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown
- The Wakeman Drawings
- Place Names
- Marine Environment