Cantilever – A long beam, which is fixed only at one end.
Cantilever Bridge – A bridge made of cantilevers or beams projecting from piers, as at a lock.
Lock – A confined section of a canal or river where the water level can be changed by the use of gates and sluices.
Omnibus – Old fashioned term for bus from omni "carrying all"
Post-chaise – A small open topped two wheel carriage which accommodated one or two people.
Skew Bridge – A bridge which is oblique, twisted or distorted.
Sluice – A sliding gate for controlling the volume or flow of water in a lock.
Toll – A charge paid for permission to pass on a toll-road. Those who used the road would therefore be contributing to its upkeep.
Toll-road – A road which is maintained by the tolls or charges collected on it at the toll-gates.
Turnpike Road – a road on which tolls were collected at the toll-gates.
Viaduct – A bridge of many arches carrying a road or railway at a height above a river or roadway.
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
Related LibrariesCarlow County Library
Contact this library »
- Flora & Fauna
- Island Life
- Physical Landscape
- Place Names
- 20th Century Transport in Dublin
- Bypasses, Flyovers and Ferries: Donegal in the C21
- Cork Blackrock & Passage Railway
- Cork Tram
- Dublin & Blessington Steam Tram
- Dublin & South Eastern Railway
- Dublin Trams 1872-1959
- Growth of Transportation Networks in Carlow
- Infrastructure in County Donegal in the 19th Cen.
- Inland Waterways in Westmeath
- Ireland's First Garage
- Midland Great Western Railway in Westmeath
- Rian Bo Phadraig
- Roads & Bridges in County Donegal - Beginnings
- The Bridges of Donegal County
- The Cork and Youghal Railway
- The Flight of the Bremen
- The Lucan Tram
- Tralee & Dingle Railway
- Transport at Dún Laoghaire Port
- Transport Infrastructure in Mayo
- Waterford and Tramore Railway
- Waterford County Bridges
- Waterford City Bridges
- Waterford, Dungarvan and Lismore Railway
- Waterford Port
- Waterford Railways
- Waterford's Shipyards
- Marine Environment