Changes were now taking place on the Lucan line to make it more reliable. It was decided that the line should be electrified The shareholders having agreed to this change, held an Extraordinary Meeting on 18th February 1898 to make arrangements for funding of such a venture. Funding was successfully arranged and building of the new line went ahead. The track gauge was increased to 3ft 6ins. An application was made for an Order-in-Council to change the name to 'Dublin and Lucan Electric Railway' under the Irish Light Railways Act.

On 28th July 1899 a site was acquired from John Godley at Fonthill to build a power station. This was equipped with two 100 h.p. steam driven dynamos, to produce current for the line at 500 volts. Some of the output, at a lower voltage, was available for lighting local houses. When the line closed the supply was continued for some time. Power was then being supplied to two churches, a convent, the Hermitage Golf Club and many houses in Lucan and District.

The contract for the installation of overhead equipment was awarded to Dick Kerr of Kilmarnock. Side poles with bracket arms supporting the overhead wiring were erected along the route. These are still in use on Chapelizod Bridge and along Conyngham Road but now supporting streetlights.

On the 27th February 1900 the new electric system was inspected and passed by officers of the Board of Trade. Newspaper advertisements appeared announcing that the opening of the line would take place on the 8th March. Cars were to run at 45-minute intervals from 8 a.m.to 10.15 p.m. daily.

On the Lucan line wages for the tram crews, pre 1914, were 30 shillings per week. During the First World War the British Government took over the tramway under the Defense of the Realm Act and consequently, wages were increased. However fares also increased by 50%.


previousPrevious - Extensions
Next - War, Rebellion and Civil Strifenext