Long before the monumental tombs of Irish pre-history were constructed, people had been building timber, wattle and thatch houses as their homes. For a long time, and certainly until the end of the Tudor period, the ordinary people in Ireland, as opposed to Norman French and native Gaelic lords, lived in a type of circular thatched hut which is encountered very widely in different civilizations. These buildings existed side by side with the square plan, stone-built towers of three or four storeys which were the houses of the Irish landed class from the fourteenth to the seventeenth century. Where a family was wealthy, or of local importance, two or more towers might be built together with a vaulted hall between them or added to one side.
Some notion of the Classical architecture of Renaissance Italy appears in Irish building at the time of the Tudor and Jacobean plantations. The English and Scots settlers brought the new taste with them. The earliest examples of classical architecture tend to be limited to single elements, like doorways or chimneys, or to monuments put up in churches. For the most part Irish domestic building remained medieval and Gothic in its forms until the appearance of the Georgian house. An exception to this is the later Stuart building in Irish towns. Though little survives today it is clear that the growing economies of Dublin and the port cities led to a new domestic architecture, often built of bricks with square-headed windows and other Classical details from the 1680s on.
Neolithic House -
This shows a small thatched house at Ballintlieve, Moynalty, Kells. It has three small windows, two to the right and one to the left of a traditional half door. A small flat roofed porch appears from the stonework to be original.By permission of Jack Fitzsimonst
Ballintlieve, Moynalty - By permission of Jack Fitzsimonst
Terraced Georgian Houses - St John's Mall
In 1817 Sir Lawrence Parsons set about extending the town to the east. Initially four terraced houses were built to the west of John’s Hall. These were two story over basement houses with a grass front enclosed within iron railings. Further developments took place in the 1860’s with the building of Regency houses towards Cromptons Row
Terraced Georgian Houses - St John's Mall -
Georgian Domestic Architecture
Georgian domestic architecture is dominated by Classical ideas. In the great houses of the protestant aristocracy in the country and in the new suburbs of Dublin - Caple Street, Henrietta Street and Dorset Street, north of the river, and Molesworth Street, Kildare Street and Merrion Square on the south - the example of the Italian architect Andrea Palladio (1508-80) established a system of proportions and of Classical enrichment that has stamped a special character on the Irish countryside and capital.
In the country the houses are built as free-standing symmetrical blocks, usually of three storeys over a basement and frequently with balanced wings on either side to provide an imposing entrance front. In towns the typical Georgian house forms part of a terrace or is built round a square. In Dublin there is often a sunk area before the house to give light to a basement, and railings with a few steps leading over the area to the front door.
Georgian town houses are often built of brick with stone details and slate roofs, partly hidden behind a parapet. They are usually three - sometimes four - storeys high with two, three or even four windows across the front. Front doors in Georgian Ireland are often made to look important by the addition of columns on each side, a Classical entablature over the door and a fan-light window above.
In the Regency and Victorian periods many houses continued to be built in a Georgian manner. Architects also began to experiment with different styles and plans. They built small detached houses, or groups of semi-detached blocks, in new suburbs with gardens and trees round the houses. In the countryside the architectural style might be that of an imitation castle or a Gothic abbey, and, in the towns, a neat Greek villa or an Elizabethan Cottage.
Photograph of Bessborough House, Piltown, County Kilkenny
Bessborough House -
Belamont Forest, Cootehill, Co. Cavan
Belamont Forest, Cootehill, Co. Cavan. An early Classical house designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce on the principles of Palladian architecture
Belamont Forest, Cootehill, Co. Cavan -
A view of Upper Mount Street in Dublin
A photograph of Upper Mount Street, Dublin. A noted street of late Georgian domestic architecture built about 1810.
A view of Upper Mount Street in Dublin -
Fanlights in the Rathmines area of Dublin
Fanlights in the Rathmines area of DublinBy kind permission of the Rathmines, Ranelagh and Rathgar Historical Society
Fanlights in the Rathmines area of Dublin - By kind permission of the Rathmines, Ranelagh and Rathgar Historical Society
Georgian Doorways at Moorpark Street Birr
This three story house house was formerly a residence for the Presentation Brothers. Note front door inset with raised coving with Sacred Heart symbol. Note also paved entrance and decorative wrought iron front railing
Georgian Doorways at Moorpark Street Birr -
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
- History of Ireland
- Architecture Feature
- Architectural Features of Birr, County Offaly
- Architecture in County Carlow
- Architecture in Cork City
- Architecture in Fingal, Dublin
- Dublin Through the Ages: An Exhibition
- Dublin's City Hall
- Georgian Dublin
- Historic Architectural Features in Dublin 6
- Pre-1850 Houses in South County Dublin
- The Cork Camera Club (Pre-1940)
- The Irish Builder
- The Thatched Houses of Co. Meath
- Vernacular Architecture of Monaghan Town
- Woodstock House, Co. Kilkenny
- Big Houses of Ireland
- Built Heritage 1700 - Today
- Folklore of Ireland
- Heritage Towns
- Irish Genealogy
- Monuments & Built Heritage
- Pages in History
- Poor Law Union
- Special Collections
- Traditional Crafts