Cappaghmore House is situated in the Ninth Lock Road from Clondalkin to Lucan, between the canal and the railway. As far as one can ascertain, the house was built around 1800 when it was little more than a single-storey cottage. The first occupants were several generations of the Whitton family who were farmers. William Whitton, who presented the bell to St. John's church in 1879, died at Cappaghmore in 1894.
The house was bought by the Mullins family (possibly a branch of the Mullins family who lived in Newlands House). The Mullins family were followed by the McCauslands (four McCausland men are neamed on the World War I Roll of Honour in St. John's Church). In 1907, the McCausland family sold the house to Kynock Ltd., the owners of the paper mill, for use by managers and staff. An analytical chemist, Alexander Forbes Watson (born 1872) died there in August 1909, and is buried in St. John's church enclosed graveyard. His wife gave birth to their daughter five months later, in January 1910.
In 1913, the house was bought by Dr. Andrew Ryan, the Clondalkin Dispensary doctor, and father of Dermot Ryan, the late Roman Catholic Archbishop of Dublin, who was born in Clondalkin. Dr. Andrew Ryan built a large pond in the garden to the rear of the house. He eventually sold the house to Judge Sealy who promptly resold it to Frawleys of Thomas Street. The next owner was Redmond Gallagher (Urney Chocolates) who extended the house to its present size by adding the upper storey, the conservatory, the yard and the stables.
The next owners were Commander and Lady Mack. According to Burke's Peerage, 1967, Lady Dorothy Alice was born in 1890, a sister of William, 3rd Duke of Westminster. She was married four times: 1. 1909 - Lord Dalmeny (later 6th Earl of Rosebery): divorced in 1919. 2. 1920 - Captain Robert Bingham Brassey: divorced 1927. 3. 1929 - Chetwode Charles Hamilton Hilton-Green: divorced 1938. 4. 1938 - Commander Richard Herbert Mack, R.N. (retired). Lady Mack brought her own staff to Cappaghmore, including the stableman and his family who lived in the gate lodge. Both she and the Commander were respected and liked by all in Clondalkin. She died on 11th January 1966. The next occupants of Cappaghmore House were the Crossley-Cook family who were soon followed by Dermot Ryan (of Ryan Hotels).
The present occupants are the Mahon family and we would like to thank Mrs. V. Mahon for supplying most of the information above, compiled by her daughter when still in Primary School. Most of the land attached to Cappaghmore House was developed some years ago and now forms Cappaghmore Estate. There are buildings marked 'Cappoh' on Rocque's map of 1762 at the location of Cappahmore House, and the same location is marked 'Cappogh' on Duncan's 1821 map. On Griffith's 1852 map the house is called 'Rosebank' and is listed as being occupied by Charles Bunn at the time. The house is still standing and occupied.
The Glebe House was situated opposite the Clondalkin Paper Mills in Clondalkin Village. No building is marked in its location on Duncan's 1821 map but it is clearly labelled on Griffith's 1852 map, so it was most probably built in the intervening period. In the early 1850's it was occupied by the Rev. David John Reade, who succeeded his father as rector of St. John's Parish when he died in 1848. The paper mills were fairly recently established at the time and Rev. Reade was very reluctant to occupy the Glebe House because of the terrible smell from boiling rags at the mills. Also the Glebe House was old and built by a 'mere country carpenter'. However, by the time that permission was given in 1864 to spend money on building a new rectory, the mills had ceased operations so the money was spent on repairs and an extension to the Glebe House instead. It was eventually sold in 1948 to the Clondalkin Paper Mills and suseqently demolished.
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
Related LibrariesSouth Dublin County Library
Contact this library »
- History of Ireland
- Architecture Feature
- Architectural Features of Birr, County Offaly
- Architecture in County Carlow
- Architecture in Cork City
- Architecture in Fingal, Dublin
- Dublin Through the Ages: An Exhibition
- Dublin's City Hall
- Georgian Dublin
- Historic Architectural Features in Dublin 6
- Pre-1850 Houses in South County Dublin
- The Cork Camera Club (Pre-1940)
- The Irish Builder
- The Thatched Houses of Co. Meath
- Vernacular Architecture of Monaghan Town
- Woodstock House, Co. Kilkenny
- Big Houses of Ireland
- Built Heritage 1700 - Today
- Folklore of Ireland
- Heritage Towns
- Irish Genealogy
- Monuments & Built Heritage
- Pages in History
- Poor Law Union
- Special Collections
- Traditional Crafts