Rockbrook & Edmondstown

Edmondstown Park

A detached three-bay, two-storey over basement house, built in 1792, and still in good condition. In 1848 William Armstrong Hayes, a wholesale tanner in Dublin City took up the lease at Edmondstown. Almost twenty years later he purchased the estate from its owner Mr. Cotton. Hayes also disposed of his interest in the tanning industry and divided his time between farming and assisting his son, also called William, who was a chemist and had a shop on Grafton Street. William Hayes Junior formed a committee with other chemists to promote the Irish Pharmacy Bill which became law in 1875. In 1897 he set up business with Henry Conyngham and R.T.W. Robinson to form Hayes, Conyngham and Robinson Ltd. HCR was the larget chain of retail pharmacies in Ireland and had been in business for over one hundred years when the business was sold to the British chain, Boots, in 1998.

Rockbrook House

Detached five-bay, two-storey over basement country house, built c.1770, now used as a school. The building was remodelled and extended in 1941. Timber sash windows throughout. The former farmyard is to the south.

previousPrevious - Grange Road
Next - Scholarstownnext