Allenton House

Allenton House was an attractive two-storey, five-bay, early-eighteenth century building in the classical style. It was situated on the Oldcourt Road near the Killininny Tower. The house was named for Sir Timothy Allen, who was Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1762-1763: there is a monument to him in St Maelruan's church. The property is also associated with the de Ridleforths, and de Merisco families and the Ashbournes. Mr Timothy Muldoon, a well known farmer and horsebreeder, owned Allenton for many years, and when he died his nephew Mr. Kirby became the owner of the house. He began to demolish it on New Years Day 1983, though it was listed for preservation. Members of the local An Taisce Heritage Committee and of Tallaght Historical Society (especially Mrs Margaret Taylor) obtained a court injunction against Mr. Kirby to prevent him from demolishing any more of the house. Allenton was further damaged by fire and was finally demolished in August 1984.

Ballinascorney House

Ballinascorney House, also known as Dillon Lodge (now ruined), is in the townland of Ballinascorney Upper. It was a detached seven-bay two-storey country house formerly a five-bay house built circa 1800, with single-bay addition to each end, circa 1840. It had smooth rendered walls, a single-storey flat-roofed porch, and three large chimney-stacks. It has various stone outbuildings, some with distinctive brick corbelling. The ruin is situated in extensive landscaped grounds.

Ballinascorney House was originally built as a shooting lodge for the Dillons of Belgard who had an enclosed deer park nearby. Other such lodges in the area were Connolly's at Mount Pelier and Cobbes Lodge in Glenasmole. Much of the social life of the landowners revolved around the hunting and shooting seasons. The house had many interesting occupants over the years. Among those who lived there was Gerald Tench, a former Registrar of Equity; Major Knox, owner of the Irish Times; and Professor Aodhgán Ó Rathaille. This house is of historical importance as Robert Emmet and a band of his followers stayed here while on the run following the rebellion of 1803. The occupant at that time was Rose Bagnal. In a deposition she described the uniforms and plumed hats of the rebels, who were disguised as French officers. She was called to give evidence at his trial when he was captured a month later. The house was destroyed by fire in 1987 and only a ruin remains.

Delaford House

Delaford House was on the Firhouse Road. It was a classic house, of middle size, built in the eighteenth century. The older part of the house, at the back, was two storeys high and was a coachman's inn. The original name of the house was Clandarrig. Alderman Bermingham bought Delaford towards the end of the eighteenth century, and changed the name of the house to Springfield. He added the one storey section to the front of the house, which consisted of the hall and two rooms. The front door had a large fanlight and there were semi-circular bows at each end of the house. In 1820 Mr B. Otley, Commissioner of public works, occupied the house and he changed the name back to Delaford. He added a further extension to the rear of the house. Later occupants were Dr. Swan, who used the house as a convalescent home, Mr. Murphy of the DMP and the last owner Mrs. C. Mc Kenna. The land around Delaford was sold for housing and following several fires, the house was demolished in 1977.

previousPrevious - Woodtown Park House
Next - Belgard Castlenext