Electric Trams

Cork's electric tramway system began operating on the 22nd of December 1898. The hub of the system was near the Father Mathew Statue in Saint Patrick's Street. The trams operated from 7.30 a.m. to 11.00 p.m. every day of the week. The tram shown here at Summerhill North served the Summerhill-Sunday's Well route. The other routes were Blackpool-Douglas and Tivoli-Blackrock. The arrival of bus services and the increasing use of the motor car after the 1920's spelt the end for the tramway system. Cork bade farewell to its trams on the 30th of September 1931.

previousPrevious - Other Streets
Next - Eventsnext