The Quays

Albert Quay

Albert Quay was named for Prince Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria. Victoria and Albert visited Cork city on 3 August 1849. The quay has since been renamed Terence MacSwiney Quay, in honour of Terence MacSwiney , a former Lord Mayor of Cork, who died after a prolonged hunger strike in Brixton Prison in 1920 during the War of Independence. Victoria and Albert had arrived at Cobh on 2 August 1849 on board the royal yacht named, appropriately enough, the Victoria Albert. Cobh, as it was then called, was renamed Queenstown in honour of the visit.

previousPrevious - Father Theobald Mathew Statue
Next - Bachelor's Quaynext