Other Buildings

The Summer House

(Knox's Bower)

This folly probably dates from the late 18th Century. It consists of a fanciful rubble Gothic castle. It is situated on the riverside drive just south of the main demesne. The site affords views over the river Nore and valley and the Inistioge Bridge.


Red House

The earliest building on this site may have dated from the earliest 17th Century and had a defensive function. In the 1820's extensive refurbishment took place, converting it into a house for the holding of picnics and parties by the river. The building is L-shaped, connected to a river-side quay by a collection of terraces. The older building was enhanced with gabling, a front door porch and new windows. A large interior room was used to host parties, the guests often arriving by boat along the River Nore. As the Tighe Family owned the highly valuable salmon fishing rights on the River, salmon usually featured on the menu.

The Dovecote

This round dovecote, or pigeon house, although highly ornamental in appearance, also served a practical purpose. The structure provided young pigeons for the table in the winter. It has stone walls with a slated conical roof. Internally it accommodated seven tiers of nest books, and can accommodate 586 pigeons.

It is believed it dates from the 18th century. although it does not appear on maps of the time. It has been partially restored and is one of the best of its kind in Ireland.

previousPrevious - Sandford Castle and Swiss Cottage