Kilkenny College

Kilkenny College was established in 1667 by James, 1st Duke of Ormonde to replace an earlier grammar school established prior to 1539, adjacent to St. Canice's Cathedral by Piers Butler. It was established besides the river Nore in 1684.

In 1690 for several months it served as a University of St. Canice under James II. Then in 1782, the present building was completed, a seven bay Georgian building, eight bays deep.

The large ornate Georgian entrance door is particularly notable. The building continued as an educational establishment until 1985, when it was purchased by Kilkenny County Council.  It now serves as the Council's headquarters.

Besides Berkeley, other famous pupils of the College include:

Jonathan Swift (1167 - 1745),
Richard Stanihurst (1547 - 1618), historian,
William Congreve (1670 - 1729), dramatist,
George Farquahar (1678 - 1707), dramatist
and Admiral, Earl Beatty (1871 - 1936), dramatist.

previousPrevious - Dysart Castle
Next - Dunmore Cavenext

Upload to this page

Upload to this page

Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.

Map Search

Related Libraries

Kilkenny County Library
Contact this library »


History & Heritage

Popular Sections