Leamlara House, Co. Cork
Collection: The Standish Barry estate papers collection was donated to Cork County Library in 2001 by the widow of Prof. Dr. Richard G. Barry of Belmont, Montenotte, Cork.
Historical Background: The material relates to the Standish Barry estate at Leamlara in east county Cork. This estate was untypical insofar as the family was Roman Catholic. Their surname was Barry; the Standish Barry name was applied principally to distinguish them from other branches of the Barry family in the area.
In the 1840s the estate comprised of 3886 acres, 3 roods and 20 perches. By the 1870s it had shrunk to less than 1000 acres. By the 1940s, only 400 acres remained, at which point it was sold to the Irish Land Commission. The last remains of the estate disappeared in 1966 when Leamlara House was demolished.
Collection Details: The collection is comprised of:-
- A bound volume of estate maps, covering 16 townlands, with lists of tenants. The collection of maps is dated 1846. Also included (loose) is an earlier, undated, rental.
- Photographs, by Guy & Co., Cork of Leamlara House and of the Lodge, Leamlara; dimensions are 29 cm x 38 cm.
- Newspaper extracts - advertisements for sale in Encumbered Estate Court of portions of the Leamlara estate and reports of such sales.
- Notes on Barry family history, including history of the Standish Barry family
- Pedigree - Barry of Leamlara - Burke's Landed Gentry Ireland 1912
- Griffith's Valuation 1853, Co. Cork, 'Barony of Barrymore'
- 1851 Census of Ireland, Co. Cork
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
Related LibrariesCork County Library
Contact this library »
- History of Ireland
- Big Houses of Ireland
- Big Houses of Ireland Feature
- Bellevue House and Demesne, Co. Wexford
- Belvedere House, Co. Westmeath
- Bessborough House and Estate, Cork
- Charlesfort Estate, Co. Meath
- Corkagh House and Estate, Dublin
- Digby Estate
- Dromana House, Co. Waterford
- Edgeworthstown House, Co. Longford
- George Berkeley and Dysart Castle, Co. Kilkenny
- Glin Castle, Co. Limerick
- Heywood House, Co. Laois
- Houses of Kerry
- Image, Audio and Video Pilot Project
- Kenure House and Demesne
- Lawrence Family Album
- Leamlara House, Co. Cork
- Lissadell House
- Luttrellstown Castle
- Mary Fort House and The Bodyke Evictions
- Moore Abbey
- Mote Park House
- Mountshannon House and the Fitzgibbons
- Parslickstown House
- Rossmore Castle
- The Big Houses of Dún Laoghaire Rathdown
- Ballymacool House, Co. Donegal
- The Clements Family & Lough Rynn House
- The Cole Bowen Estate
- The Lucans of Laleham
- The Mansion House
- The Powerscourt Demesne
- The Shaws of Dublin
- The Tighe Family & Woodstock Estate
- Cork Archives Pilot Project
- Wildgoose Lodge
- Built Heritage 1700 - Today
- Folklore of Ireland
- Heritage Towns
- Irish Genealogy
- Monuments & Built Heritage
- Pages in History
- Poor Law Union
- Special Collections
- Traditional Crafts