The 1950's and early 1960's saw the final nail driven in the big house's coffin with the Land Commission demolishing the house completely. Much of the beautiful woods surrounding the house were also felled, and replaced with newer mixed conifer species. The remaining land was divided into several properties for families transferred from the nearby
Now, instead of the big house, many smaller farm houses lay scattered over what was once the Crofton estate, while the present Lord Crofton, Guy, son of Edward Blaise, lives and works as a diplomat in Germany. Mote Park still attracts many visitors however, marketed now as a heritage walkway, almost 10 miles in length and taking in whatever original features still remaining intact.
Sources used in addition to the Crofton papers located in Roscommon County Library. These are also all available at Roscommon Co. Library.
Brennan, Niamh, Tracing the roots of the landed gentry…the Croftons of Roscommon, Journal of the Irish Society for Archives, 1999, Vol. 6(1).
Crofton, Henry Thomas, The Crofton Memoirs, York, 1911.
Dodd, Luke, The Houses of County Roscommon ,Living Heritage, Vol. 10(1) Autumn1993.
Finnerty, Mary, The Roscommon Estates of the Lords Crofton 1845-95, Unpublished thesis, 1986.
O'Hart, John, The Irish and the Anglo-Irish Landed Gentry, Gill and Son, Dublin, 1884.
Weld, Isaac, Statistical Survey of the County of Roscommon, Royal Dublin Society, Dublin, 1832.
By larkinm | 2012-11-08 22:43:13
Mote Park Conservation Group Facebook Page
Further information and updates on events taking place in Mote Park are available at; www.facebook.com/MoteParkConservationGroup
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
Related LibrariesRoscommon County Library
Contact this library »
- History of Ireland
- Big Houses of Ireland
- Big Houses of Ireland Feature
- Bellevue House and Demesne, Co. Wexford
- Belvedere House, Co. Westmeath
- Bessborough House and Estate, Cork
- Charlesfort Estate, Co. Meath
- Corkagh House and Estate, Dublin
- Digby Estate
- Dromana House, Co. Waterford
- Edgeworthstown House, Co. Longford
- George Berkeley and Dysart Castle, Co. Kilkenny
- Glin Castle, Co. Limerick
- Heywood House, Co. Laois
- Houses of Kerry
- Image, Audio and Video Pilot Project
- Kenure House and Demesne
- Lawrence Family Album
- Leamlara House, Co. Cork
- Lissadell House
- Luttrellstown Castle
- Mary Fort House and The Bodyke Evictions
- Moore Abbey
- Mote Park House
- Mountshannon House and the Fitzgibbons
- Parslickstown House
- Rossmore Castle
- The Big Houses of Dún Laoghaire Rathdown
- Ballymacool House, Co. Donegal
- The Clements Family & Lough Rynn House
- The Cole Bowen Estate
- The Lucans of Laleham
- The Mansion House
- The Powerscourt Demesne
- The Shaws of Dublin
- The Tighe Family & Woodstock Estate
- Cork Archives Pilot Project
- Wildgoose Lodge
- Built Heritage 1700 - Today
- Folklore of Ireland
- Heritage Towns
- Irish Genealogy
- Monuments & Built Heritage
- Pages in History
- Poor Law Union
- Special Collections
- Traditional Crafts