History of the Area
The present Parslickstown House was built around 1840, but the land on which it stands had brushed with history a long time before that. Brian Boru is said to have stayed in the field around Mulhuddart before marching on to his tragic victory in Clontarf.
"The Neighbourhoods of Dublin", written by Weston St. John Joyce, has its own apt description of Mulhuddart. "Its lands, which are within the district covered by the Ward Union Hunt, are crossed on the south by the road to Trim, and on the north by the road to Ratoath, and much traffic between Dublin and the County of Meath passes through them".
Many armies passed through them on the way to Dublin and if Dublin was the ultimate prize of battle, then Mulhuddart was the ultimate rehearsal. The Anglo-Norman invaders found Celtic dwelling places here and used them for their own purpose, possibly as outposts.
Parslickstown (Paslickstown) is mentioned in the latter part of the 14th century when John Dowdall, who was in possession of it and Macetown, was outlawed for treason. Around this time too, living close by, was a man named William Bossard. No doubt his surname contributed to what is now known as Buzzardstown House, located nearby.
In the early part of the 16th century, existing documents show that Thomasine Talbot was the occupant of Macetown and Paslickstown. Richard Bellings, a lawyer and solicitor-general for Ireland from 1574 to 1584, owned the lands of Tyrellstown, Buzzardstown, Paslickstown and Macetown when he died in 1600.
There was a period of fire and sword in Ireland between 1641 and 1649, and the parish of Mulhuddart was totally overrun. At this time there was a thatched house in Parslickstown (Paslickstown), it was a small dwelling which was destroyed in battle.
When the restoration came, records show that there were twenty-nine persons of English descent in the parish of Mulhuddart and forty-nine persons of Irish descent. There were four persons of rank, Thomas Luttrell, owner of Luttrellstown, who lived in Powerstown, John Jordan of Tyrellstown, Nicholas Carte of Damastown and Gilbert Ferris of Paslickstown.
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
Related LibrariesFingal County Library
Contact this library »
- History of Ireland
- Big Houses of Ireland
- Big Houses of Ireland Feature
- Bellevue House and Demesne, Co. Wexford
- Belvedere House, Co. Westmeath
- Bessborough House and Estate, Cork
- Charlesfort Estate, Co. Meath
- Corkagh House and Estate, Dublin
- Digby Estate
- Dromana House, Co. Waterford
- Edgeworthstown House, Co. Longford
- George Berkeley and Dysart Castle, Co. Kilkenny
- Glin Castle, Co. Limerick
- Heywood House, Co. Laois
- Houses of Kerry
- Image, Audio and Video Pilot Project
- Kenure House and Demesne
- Lawrence Family Album
- Leamlara House, Co. Cork
- Lissadell House
- Luttrellstown Castle
- Mary Fort House and The Bodyke Evictions
- Moore Abbey
- Mote Park House
- Mountshannon House and the Fitzgibbons
- Parslickstown House
- Rossmore Castle
- The Big Houses of Dún Laoghaire Rathdown
- Ballymacool House, Co. Donegal
- The Clements Family & Lough Rynn House
- The Cole Bowen Estate
- The Lucans of Laleham
- The Mansion House
- The Powerscourt Demesne
- The Shaws of Dublin
- The Tighe Family & Woodstock Estate
- Cork Archives Pilot Project
- Wildgoose Lodge
- Built Heritage 1700 - Today
- Folklore of Ireland
- Heritage Towns
- Irish Genealogy
- Monuments & Built Heritage
- Pages in History
- Poor Law Union
- Special Collections
- Traditional Crafts