As climate change is a global problem it must be addressed at a global level. This is being done primarily through the United Nations Organisation who helped establish the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and who drafted a Convention and Protocol to address the issue. If we do not make significant changes now in our attitude towards climate change, the consequences will be devastating.
Global and national treaties to tackle climate change have been ratified over the last two decades. In 1992 the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) was created, and the Kyoto Protocol followed in 1997. During the second Kyoto Protocol commitment period, which runs from 2013 to 2020, Parties committed to reduce GHG emissions by at least 18 percent below 1990 levels. The Paris Agreement in 2015 sets out a global action plan to put the world on track to avoid dangerous climate change by limiting global warming to well below 2°C.
European Green Deal
To set an ambitious example to the world, the European Union's Green Deal sets out the EU's aims to become the first climate-neutral continent.
The EU states that Climate change and environmental degradation are an existential threat to Europe and the world. To overcome these challenges, Europe needs a new growth strategy that will transform the Union into a modern, resource-efficient and competitive economy, where
- there are no net emissions of greenhouse gases by 2050
- economic growth is decoupled from resource use
- no person and no place is left behind
See more details on the European Green Deal here.
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
- Ireland's Environment Overview
- Environmental Governance
- Air Quality
- The Built Environment
- Waste Management
- Aarhus Convention
- Climate Change
- Climate Change?
- How it all began ...
- How does it affect me?
- What's being done?
- Ireland's Current International Status on Climate Performance
- Ireland's Kyoto Commitment
- National Carbon Budget
- National Strategies & Initiatives
- Down to Green Business
- Lights! Cycle! Action!
- Calculator Tools
- Kids 4 Change
- Hope on the horizon
- Any Questions?
- Useful Links
- Citizen Science
- Health and Wellbeing
- Featured Articles
- ENFOpoints 2010-2011
- County Focus
- Environmental Awareness Initiatives
- Education, Training & Exhibitions
- Environmental Impact Statements
- Who Does What?
- Energy Resources: Renewable and Non-Renewable
- Environmental Assessment
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
- Local Authority Environmental Enforcement
- Mineral Extraction