Obligations on vehicle manufacturers and professional importers:
- to establish national collection systems for the recovery and treatment of end-of-life vehicles. Typically, an end-of-life vehicle will be a passenger car or a light commercial van that the registered owner wishes to dispose of as waste. From 1 January 2007 owners of intact end-of-life cars and vans can deposit them free-of-charge at authorised treatment facilities. An exception to the free take-back principle is provided where a vehicle is missing its essential components or where waste has been added to the vehicle.
- each producer's national collection system is required to have at least one authorised treatment facility in every city and county council area that will provide free take-back for vehicles of that producer's brand or for which that producer has responsibility. Producers are required to have additional authorised treatment facilities in place in those counties and cities with a larger population base (i.e. one additional facility for each additional 150,000 persons in the relevant county or city).
- Each producer is required to register with each local authority and to provide specified information to the local authorities to accompany their registration.
- to ensure that the materials and components of specified vehicles do not contain lead, mercury, cadmium or hexavalent chromium other than in cases specified in the Fourth Schedule of the regulations and that technical documentation must be made available by the producer to verify compliance with these requirements
- to compile and maintain appropriate documentation, for a period of seven years, to verify that the materials and components of vehicles are in compliance with the provisions of the regulations.
- each producer, in liaison with vehicle material and equipment manufacturers, use component and material coding standards to facilitate the identification of those components and materials which are suitable for reuse and recovery
- Producers are also obliged to make available to authorised treatment facilities dismantling information for each type of new specified vehicle put on the market in Ireland within six months of these vehicles being put on the market in Ireland
- keep records of the aggregate weight of materials for reuse, recycling, recovery and disposal arising from end-of-life vehicles and report to local authorities on an annual basis
Source: Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government website.