Poet's Cottage

The cottage is named after Patrick Ryan, a poet who lived in Camross between 1750 and 1825.The replica thatched dwelling brings visitors back in time to the 1800s. Cottages were one storey tall and one room wide built of local stone or mud and thatched with reeds or straw. The centre of the household was the hearth used for warmth and cooking where people sewed, knitted or mended clothes. Other rooms and the attic were bedrooms or stores. In early cottages animals slept in one room while the people slept in the others.

Website: www.laois.ie




Co. Laois

Click here  to see a map showing Poet's Cottage.

previousPrevious - Abbeyleix Heritage House