Continuity and Change

In 1971, the Irish Folklore Commission became The Department of Irish Folklore, University College Dublin. The Commission’s work of collecting, preserving, indexing and publishing the folklore of Ireland, continued in the academic milieu of the Department (1971 – 2005), and is still carried on by the Department’s successor, the UCD Delargy Centre for Irish Folklore and the National Folklore Collection (2005 – ), though no collectors work in the field nowadays. A wide range of studies based on the National Folklore Collection has already been published, and numerous national and international radio and television programmes and documentaries have drawn imaginatively on this abundant and inspiring resources.

previousPrevious - Anna Nic an Luain (1884-1954)