The provision of educational facilities has a long tradition in the Parish. In 1667, James Butler, First Duke of Ormonde established a Free School in a large house in John Street. This school is the direct ancestor of Kilkenny College which is now based on the Castlecomer Road, Kilkenny. During this period, Richard Pococke, the famous traveller and Anglican Bishop of Ossory and later Meath founded a linen weaving factory in Greenshill. This was known as Lintown and included a school where apprentices were educated in all aspects of Linen production. The Lintown School was later transferred to the Charterschool in Brownstown. As this was funded by the Pococke family it became known as the Pococke School. This amalgamated with Kilkenny College at the turn of the Century.

Prior to the establishment of the National Board of Education in 1831, a number of small private fee-paying schools operated in the Parish. These served both Catholic and Protestant students. At various times schools operated in Maudlin Street, Seminary Lane. Michael Street, the New Road and two in John Street.

In 1896, The De La Salle Brothers arrived in the parish. Up to 1984, they provided teachers and principals for St. John's Boys' School on Ballybough Street. This school opened in 1952 and replaced an older school that operated at Windgap at the top of Maudlin Street.

Another school was founded on John's Quay prior to 1840. This was known as the Nore View School and was founded by a Dr. Gregory Von Fainaigle, a German teacher who emphasised memory retention methodologies in his teaching practices. The school was generally known thus as the Fainaiglian School. It is believed to have closed after 1873. The school building now houses the 'Home Rule' Club.

Further up the Quay is another primary school known as the Lake. This school built in 1937 replaced an earlier school on the same site also known as the Lake. This had being built in 1908. Prior to that, both girls and infants had attended the old Windgap School with the boys. The area known as the Lake was a low lying grass covered area between Michael Street and the River Nore. As it frequently flooded this may be the origin of the name.

In the rural parts of the parish prior to 1830, most education was carried out through hedge schools. A school was built in Dunmore around 1835, it closed in 1966 and its pupils transferred to the Lake. In Johnswell a school was also opened during the same period. The present school was built in 1950.

previousPrevious - John's Quay and its environs
Next - The G.A.A. in St. John'snext