- The sun provides energy to the Earth. This energy then enters the Earth’s atmosphere.
- The Earth’s surface absorbs most of this energy, which warms the planet.
- Some of the energy is returned back through the atmosphere.
- But, some of this energy that was to be returned to space is captured by gases (carbon dioxide, methane, and water) in the atmosphere and sent back down to Earth.
- This is called the Greenhouse Effect.
What can we do?
We have just learned a lot about climate change and how greenhouse gases affect the environment.
But remember, all is not lost! There are lots of things we can do as island protectors to help the environment.
The Green Team will show you how we can help reduce these nasty greenhouse gas emissions!