The Earth Summit held in Rio de Janeiro in 1992 is one of the most significant global environment conferences. Crucially, it was attended by 172 governments, who recognised that the conservation of biological diversity is "a common concern of humankind." By the end, 10,000 on-site journalists relayed the following agreements to a waiting world:
- The Rio Declaration on Environment and Development
- The Convention on Biological Diversity
- The Convention on Climate Change
- Agenda 21
The summit message - that a major shift in attitudes was needed to bring about change – had been heard loud and clear.
May 22nd is the International Day of International Biodiversity. Each year a biodiversity theme is selected for special celebration. Water and Biodiversity was the theme in 2013; Island Biodiversity was the theme for 2014; and Biodiversity for Sustainable Development was the theme for 2015.
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
- Ireland's Environment Overview
- Environmental Governance
- Air Quality
- Spotlight on biodiversity in Ireland
- Life and biodiversity
- Biodiversity loss
- Protecting biodiversity
- Overview of Ireland's Wildlife
- Domestic animals in Ireland
- What can be done
- Celebrate the Green Wave!
- Public Consultations
- The Built Environment
- Waste Management
- Aarhus Convention
- Climate Change
- Health and Wellbeing
- Featured Articles
- County Focus
- Environmental Awareness Initiatives
- Education, Training & Exhibitions
- Public Consultations & Review Procedure
- Environmental Impact Statements
- Who Does What?