Buildings at Dublin Castle

Upload to this page

Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.

  • Dublin Castle


Over a period of more than 800 years, it is not surprising that there have been many changes in the castle. Very little of the original structure survives. The Great Courtyard, or the Upper Castle Yard, corresponds closely with the medieval castle. The present structures date from the 17th century when much of the castle was destroyed or ruined by fire and later rebuilt.

Work on the beautiful Chapel Royal, situated next to the Record Tower, was begun in 1807 and completed seven years later in 1814. It was the official Anglican chapel of the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland until 1922 when the Irish Free State was created. It became a Catholic Church in 1943. It is not used these days. There are many heads carved in stone on the exterior.

The Record Tower is the last intact tower of Dublin Castle. Its walls are very thick as it was often used as a high security prison. However, it was not secure enough to contain the Irish Chieftain, Red Hugh O'Donnell, who made two successful escapes from the tower. The tower now houses the Garda Museum.