Building your coop
The coop is a safe and sheltered house where the hens can lay their eggs and rest at night. There is usually a run attached to the outside of the coop where chickens can move around freely. This consists of a covered, fenced area that will provide protection for the chickens from any predators that may be lurking in the bushes or overhead e.g. foxes, cats, hawks etc.
Making your own chicken coop and run instead of buying one allows you much more flexibility as you can tailor it to your own requirements. This is especially useful if you have limited space. Ideally, there should be 4 square feet of space per chicken.
The best location for a chicken coop is in a well-drained area of the garden that also provides protection from the wind.
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
- Sustainable Living Overview
- How To...Tips
- Grow Your Own Vegetables
- Keep Chickens
- Protect Habitats and Encourage Biodiversity
- Shop Local
- Use Less Water
- Reduce Water Pollution
- Reduce Waste Going to a Landfill
- Insulate Your Home
- Detect Radon
- Feed Wild Birds
- Build a Bird Box
- Make a Bird Table
- Protect our Natural Environment
- Prepare your Garden for the Winter
- Use Less Fossil Fuels
- Get Involved in the Community
- Get Involved with Green Initiatives
- Farming in Ireland Overview
- Posters and Factsheets
- Videos and Exhibitions
- Green Ideas
- Desktop Backgrounds & Gadgets