Altamont House and Gardens

Altamont House was so named circa 1760. It had been previously known as "Rose Hill" and later "Soho". It is situated one mile off the Tullow-Bunclody Road on the River Slaney. The central portion of the house dates from the Seventeenth Century. The house was extensively altered in the Eighteenth Century. A porch with an interesting fanlight and a low dining room were built. Two avenues with granite entrance gateways were also laid out. Altamont Gardens extend over forty acres, mostly consisting of woodland. The current layout of the gardens was planned by the Dawson-Bovia family who bought the estate in the 19th Century. They also added two wings to the original house. They also made the lake with labourers employed during the famine. The Lecky-Watson family moved to Altamont in 1923. When their daughter Mrs. Corona North inherited the estate she made improvements to the garden which were opened to the public. Mrs. North died in 1999.

previousPrevious - Mount Wolseley
Next - Fr. Murphy Monumentnext