1873

Pdf Architectural Notes from the South of Ireland
Size:20.1KbytesModified:23 July 2008, 15:07
Pdf Colonel Hickman Monument
Size:10.2KbytesModified:23 July 2008, 15:17
Pdf Cork Harbour Engineer
Size:16.7KbytesModified:23 July 2008, 15:27
Pdf St. Luke's Church
Size:19.6KbytesModified:23 July 2008, 15:00
Pdf Templebreedy Church, Crosshaven
Size:12.3KbytesModified:23 July 2008, 15:52

Gallery

Kilcrumper - Underground Chamber

The exact location of the underground chambers or souterrains at Kilcrumper shown in the illustration is uncertain. Archaeologists cannot agree on the purpose of underground chambers. Some think they were used to store food while others think they were places of refuge in times of trouble. (Image from: Irish Builder, Vol.15, 1 December 1873, p.317)

Cork City Libraries

Kilcrumper - Underground Chamber - Cork City Libraries

Saint Luke's Church - Interior

The Cork Examiner of 15 January 1875 describes the interior of Saint Luke's Church as follows: 'What strikes one chiefly about the interior is its lightness, loftiness and spaciousness. The length of the nave is 114 feet and the width across the transept 82 feet. Nave and transept being both of great width, the semicircular arches which span their intersection are of extraordinary size and beauty. They spring from neat shafts resting upon curved corbels projected from the faces of four lofty piers. The groined ceiling at the intersection is of timber, painted blue and spangled with stars. The chancel is at the southern end of the nave, and its special features are its five rich stained glass windows in the apse, the subjects in three of which are - the Good Shepherd, the Prodigal Son and the parable of the lost groat. These windows are the gift of Mr Wm. Goulding. On the east side of the choir, in the angle of the transept, is the organ chamber, where has been erected a costly and beautiful organ, built by Foster and Andrews of Hull. The aisles are short and narrow, in proportion to the nave and transepts, from the former of which each is separated by three lofty arches, supported upon handsome pillars of Cork red marble, polished. The capitals of the columns, corbels and shafts throughout the interior are of Bath stone, very beautifully carved by Mr MacLeod of this city. Perhaps the chief merit of its construction is the fact that from any point within the Church almost the whole interior can be seen.' (Image from: Irish Builder, Vol.16, 15 December 1874, p.341)

Cork City Libraries

Saint Luke's Church - Interior - Cork City Libraries

Saint Luke's Church

Saint Luke's Church of Ireland church shown in the illustration was the third church to stand on the site. The two previous churches, which served as chapels-of-ease to Saint Anne's, Shandon, were pulled down as they could not cope with the increasing population of the area in the mid-19 th century. Sir John Benson and William Hill designed the church in the Romanesque style. It was consecrated on 14 January 1875 and was the first church built by the Church of Ireland after the Disestablishment of the Church of Ireland Act of 1869. The church was destroyed by fire on 9 February 1887 and was replaced by a new church designed by Hill which was consecrated on 8 February 1889. The final act of worship in Saint Luke's took place on 2 March 2003. The parish merged once again with Saint Anne's, Shandon, parish. The 1889 church now serves as a cultural centre. (Image from: Irish Builder, Vol.15, 15 September 1873, p.249)

Cork City Libraries

Saint Luke's Church - Cork City Libraries

previousPrevious - 1872
Next - 1874next