19th Century

The Earls of Drogheda in the 19th Century.

Charles the 6th Earl of Drogheda married Lady Anne Seymour on 15 February 1766, daughter of Francis, 1st Marquis of Hertford, and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. They had two sons, (Charles and Henry Seymour) and six daughters.

As a reward for service Charles was created Marquis of Drogheda in 1791 and in June 1801 he became Baron Moore, a peer of the United Kingdom. Charles died on 22 December 1821, and was succeeded by his son Charles, 7th Earl and 2nd Marquis of Drogheda. Charles died in 1837, unmarried.

Henry Seymour Moore brother of Charles, 7th Earl married Mary Letitia in September 1824, second daughter of Sir Henry Parnell, Bart. They had one son, Henry Seymour Frances Moore. On the death of his Uncle Charles, Henry Seymour Frances became the 8th Earl and 3rd Marquis. He was Lord Lieutenant and Custos Rotularum of Co. Kildare, Vice Admiral of Leinster, Hon. Col. 3rd Batt. Roya l Dublin Fusiliers and Ranger of the Curragh. He married the Honourable Mary Caroline Stuart Wortley, daughter of 2nd Lord Wharncliffe.

The Turf Club.

Henry Moore had his first contact with the Turf Club at the age of twenty-six when he registered his colours in 1852. From there he was elected a member in 1863 and became a Steward three years later. The Marquis was appointed Ranger of the Turf Club in August 1868. As the instigator of many changes and developments his appointment was very significant within the history of the Club. His influence and dedication has left its imprint on the Club to this day. His contributions included the promotion of Steeplechase and Flat racing and he was a major figure in the development of Punchestown from 1861. The Marquis was also a key player in the formulation of the Code of Rules for Irish Hunt Racing, which led in turn to the foundation of the Irish Hunt Steeplechase Committee in 1870.

The Marquess of Drogheda

Innovative in minor matters as in great, Drogheda allegedly introduced the numbered saddlecloth to Ireland, an idea he from his racing experience in Melbourne.

Drogheda's dominating presence within the Turf Club is self-evident. He became a Senior Steward eight times and served in the capacity of Steward for 25 years between 1866 - 70 and 1873 - 92. He was in the privileged position of maintaining membership of both the Turf Club and the Jockey Club at Newmarket.

This connection proved to be of extreme value in the mid-1880's when the Jockey Club passed rules which would have essentially disallowed Irish Race Horses from participating in British Races, within certain of circumstances. The Marquis negotiated a nullification of the Rule, which had naturally outraged and insulted all those involved in the Irish Turf scene.

Drogheda's sudden demise occurred on the eve of Derby Day in 1892. His death, on June 29, was deeply lamented and deemed a great loss for the Irish Turf.

As a tribute to the memory of Henry Moore, the Drogheda Memorial Fund was set up and Drogheda Memorial Hospital founded. He died without issue and the Marquisette became extinct while the Earldom passed to his cousin, Ponsonby William.

The Dawn of a new Century.

The 9th Earl was a Justice of the Peace for Kildare and Queen's County, and a representative peer. He married Ann Tower on 16 October 1879, daughter of the late George Moir, L.L.D. Sheriff of Stirlingshire. They had two children, Henry Charles Ponsonby, 10th Earl and Beatrice Minnie Ponsonby.

Henry Charles Ponsonby Moore held many positions; a representative peer for Ireland from 1913, a clerk in the Foreign Office from 1907 to 1917 and a Lieutenant in the Irish Guards. Henry married Kathleen, youngest daughter of Charles M. Pelham Burn, on 1 March 1909. They had two children Charles Garret Ponsonby, who was born 23 April 1910 and Patricia Doreen, born 20 September 1912.

The text of this section relies heavily on the work done by Mary Carroll and the Leinster Leader Indexation Project. Image of the Marquess of Drogheda taken from, Mayo, Earl of, K.P. & Boulton, W.B., A history of the Kildare Hunt, London : The St. Catherine Press,1913.

previousPrevious - Lewis 1837
Next - The Estatesnext

Upload to this page

Upload to this page

Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.

Map Search

Related Libraries

Limerick City Library
Contact this library »


History & Heritage

Popular Sections