Sally Park

Sally Park is situated in Sally Park Close, on the Ballycullen Road in the townland of Tymon South. A detached four-bay three-storey Georgian country house, built in approximately 1770 by the Earl of Clanwilliam, Sally Park is now in use as a nursing home.

It has a granite Doric entrance portico with an offset double-leaf glazed timber door. The two-storey wing to west has a single Wyatt window on each floor. Mainly associated with the Hancock family, the architect T.J. Cullen also lived here. William Domville Handcock's grandfather Mathew Handcock bought Sallypark in 1796. Handcock wrote the History and Antiquities of Tallaght, first published in 1876, which contains an amazing amount of material relating to the civil parish of Tallaght. Handcock was born in 1830, the eldest son of William Elias Handcock, who was descended from a William Handcock who came to Ireland with Cromwell's army and settled in Twyford, Co. Westmeath. Domville Handcock was a magistrate for the county and presided at Tallaght Petty Sessions, he was also a guardian of the South Dublin Union. There is a memorial to him in St. Maelruan's Church in Tallaght.

Handcock's niece Mary Butler White, who also lived at Sally Park, revised and republished his work in 1899. His description of his own home at Sally Park is as follows;

"The house is very old. Apparantly about half of it was first built and occupied, as the walls of this part are thicker and of a different style of building. The other half was subsequently added, thus making it square..... it was very well wooded, many of the trees being very large. There are trout ponds, gardens, conservatories and everything to make a place comfortable, many thousands of pounds having from time to time been laid out here"

previousPrevious - Old Bawn
Next - Tallaght Housesnext